Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Greek and its benefits

Was looking at the story of Peter and Jesus in the New Testament just earlier today; particularly the part where Jesus asks Peter three times "Do you love me?". Here we have what the NIV says: John 21:15-17

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Now... in plain english, its seems like... okay, so Jesus asked Peter three times and he got hurt because it seemed like Jesus did not believe Peter.

The word 'Love' here means a lot more than what was just read in the above texts. in Greek, there are a few words that describe 'Love'. I shall introduce them to you right now...

1. phileo - brotherly kind of love. the kind of love you have between friends and family.
2. eros - (not erotic... but the word comes from there) selfish, want-all kind of love. this has been used in greek literature to describe a child's behavior where everything he wants is for himself. a selfish kind of love where there is no giving but all taking
3. agape - divine love from God. Agape love cannot be used to describe any kind of love that we can give to others - agape can only come from God.

In the greek LXX text, we see Jesus asking Peter.... the first time "Peter, do you agape me?" the second time, "agape" is used again. Both times Peter replies with "phileo" - "Lord, you know that i phileo you" Peter answers with "Phileo" as that is all the love that he can ever give him. Going back a little, if Peter had done all that he had said he would before Christ had died onthe cross - Stand up for him and die for him... that WOULD HAVE BEEN AGAPE! Okay, back to the story... So Jesus asks Peter once again (in english) "Do you love me?". This time however, the english translation does not capture the change... Jesus now uses "phileo" instead of "agape". Peter cries/weeps/is hurt (in various translations) because he knows he cannot give 'agape' to Jesus.

Well, thats it for now :) hope it's been an 'eyeopener' :D cheeeeers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home